Friday, July 16, 2010

Urban Outfitters Steals Johnny Cupcake Concept

Urban Outfitters get's ballzy and steals a concept from this guy, Johnny Cupcakes.  Being an artist myself I'm not a huge fan of their tactics.




Thursday, January 19, 2006 by URBAN COUNTERFEITERS

This one's particularly nasty on the part of Urban Outfitters. A while after sending in samples of his t-shirts so that the mega chain might consider buying some off of him to sell in their stores, Johnny Cupcakes ;was notified by a friend that they were carrying them... without his knowledge. Turns out Urban took a concept off of one of his samples and made their own version.

Here's what the original looked like:





And Urban's "interpretation" of the design:


Legal? Maybe. Shady? Very.
Via urbncounterfeiters.blogspot.com

Click here to read what Johnny Cupcakes has to say!




Urban Outfitters ripped off one of my shirts and is now selling it in some of their stores. They have a shirt with a jet dropping cupcakes(with a different color scheme),. Last year Urban wanted to carry my shirts & they had a few Johnny Cupcakes shirt samples I had sent them....the Jet dropping cupcakes being one of them. They never sent my samples back after I told them I didn't want to buisness with them
A friend of mine that works in an Urban Outfitters e-mailed me today, telling me that she thought they got Johnny Cupcakes shirts in.... except they had an "Urban Renewal" tag on the inside of em - which is Urban Outfitters notorious clothing line that rips off small, independant artists & designers from all around the world.
I am talking to a few lawyers next week to see if there's anything I can do. They may of changed the design around enough so that they can't get in trouble. Major bummer.
If you google "Urban Outfitters" and "Infringement" - you will find a couple hundred court cases about Urban Outfitters fucking over young/small designers & clothing lines. Urban outfitters makes 856 Miliion dollars a year. They put small shops out of business. They're the Wallmart/Hot Topic of clothing stores.
Below you will see the Red Jet t-shirt dropping cupcakes that I originally sent to them, as a sample, before I decided to keep my shirts out of Urban Outfitters. They KEPT my sample shirts, copied one of them so far, and is now mass producing them with their 'Urban Renewal' company name on the inside(the various webcam picas towards the bottom).
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
-Re-post this, spread the word, tell as many people as you can. This type of thing with Urban Outfitters ripping off smaller brands, has happened ALL the time! Well, thanks to TOM - we all now have MYSPACE and can communicate.
-Stop shopping at Urban Outfitters, there are pleanty of other independant shops & online stores.
-And you can purchase shirts from http://www.johnnycupcakes.com
thank you so much for your time, start spreading the news!
love,
Johnny Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment